File formats play a pivotal role in shaping your multimedia experience. They determine the compatibility and quality of your videos, making them a crucial factor to consider.
This guide will walk you through the MKV to MP4 conversion process, ensuring you can enjoy your videos without any hindrances.
MKV vs. MP4: Key Differences
MKV, short for Matroska Video, is an open-source multimedia container format. It can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks within a single file.
MP4, officially known as MPEG-4 Part 14, is a digital multimedia container format most commonly used to store video and audio. It’s renowned for its broad compatibility with various devices, platforms, and software.
Some of the differences between these two formats include:
MKV is a highly flexible container format that supports a wide range of audio, video, and subtitle formats. It allows for multiple audio and subtitle tracks, chapter markers, and menu navigation. MP4, on the other hand, is a more standardized container format with limited flexibility. It supports fewer audio and subtitle formats and does not have some additional features MKV provides.
Video and Audio Codecs
Both MKV and MP4 can support a variety of video and audio codecs, such as H.264, H.265, AAC, and MP3. However, MKV has broader codec support, including some less common or newer codecs, while MP4 generally uses more widely available ones.
File Size and Compression
In general, MKV files tend to have larger file sizes compared to MP4 files with similar video and audio content. MKV also provides a higher-quality video than MP4. MP4, on the other hand, is more about reducing file size with an efficient compression, which makes it a better choice for sharing and streaming content over the web.
MP4 is widely supported across various devices, operating systems, browsers and media players. MKV is better for converting DVDs and Blu-rays and may encounter compatibility issues with certain devices and media players, requiring additional codec support or software.
4 Ways to Convert MKV to MP4
1. Movavi Video Converter
Movavi Video Converter is a great MKV to MP4 converter that allows you to easily convert video files without losing quality. It offers an intuitive interface, making it suitable for beginners and experienced users alike. The software provides customizable settings, supports batch conversion, and offers a unique AI upscaling feature to enhance the quality of your video. Here are the steps to convert MKV to MP4 using Movavi Video Converter:
- Download and install Movavi Video Converter on your computer.
- Launch the software and click ‘Add Media’ > ‘Add video…’ to import an MKV file you want to convert
- From the bottom bar list of supported formats select ‘MP4’ as the output format
- Click ‘Compress file’ to adjust the size, quality, and bitrate. You can also set a specific preset with advanced customization options
- Specify the output folder by clicking ‘Save to…’
- Click ‘Convert’
2. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a versatile free media player that supports a wide range of video formats, including MKV and MP4. It also offers an easy way to convert files to MP4. Here’s how:
- Open VLC Media Player on your computer
- Go to the ‘Media’ menu and select ‘Convert/Save’
- In the ‘File‘ tab, click on the ‘Add‘ button to import the MKV files
- Specify the destination folder and click ‘Convert/Save’ at the bottom
- Choose ‘H.264 + MP3 (MP4)’ or ‘H.265 + MP3 (MP4)’ as the output format, adjust any desired settings, and click the ‘Start’ button
HandBrake features simple, efficient, and high quality video conversions. It’s a free and open-source video transcoder that is popular for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. Here’s how to convert MKV to MP4 with HandBrake:
- Download and install HandBrake
- Additionally, install Microsoft .NET Runtime if you don’t have it
- Launch the software and select ‘Open Source’ > ‘File’ or drag and drop an MKV video into the window
- Select ‘MP4’ in the ‘Format’ section
- Adjust settings in the ‘Dimensions’ and ‘Video’ tabs
- Choose the destination folder by clicking on the ‘Browse’ button
- Click ‘Start Encode’
CloudConvert is an online file conversion service that supports both local and cloud storage uploads. The tool can quickly convert videos right in the browser without any additional software installation, so you can use it on your mobile device as well. Here’s how you can do it:
- Visit the CloudConvert website on your web browser
- Click on the ‘Select File‘ button to upload an MKV file from your computer
- In the ‘Convert to‘ dropdown menu, choose ‘MP4‘ as the output format
- Optionally, adjust any conversion settings or parameters
- Click ‘Convert‘
There you have it – four ways to convert MKV to MP4. All the methods discussed above are easy to use and will help you achieve the desired results in no time. Choose the one that best suits your needs and get started with your video conversions.